isaiah's
overly romanticised version of life

images by onionhead, RebzxJonasxMoseley

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Enriching lecture

Today was not very eventful, but I sat for one of the most informative Chem lectures so far.

More of that later.

This morning I finally found my Electrochem tutorial book (it's in my house after all), and thank God I've done most of the first electrochem exercise (I've done it up to the MCQ section), so I could still be prepared for today's Chem tutorial.

We wrote essays for GP today, and I chose this relatively easy topic: "Should character development be the sole aim of education?". All I had to do was to challenge the absolute word "sole" and list out some other aims of education... hope my points were valid, of course.

Saw something about AHS in the forums thread for my alma mater... I pray hard for AHS that things will be alright, because it doesn't seem to be the case now. I'll not elaborate more about it, since most of it was hearsay anyway.

I changed my College Forums signature to the Quasi-chicken animation which you'll see in my previous post.

Now for the lecture. As the lecturer was still Mr Goh the "leng mian xiao jiang", I expected some lame stuff to come up.

When he came to the part when he was about to say "mushroom", he sort of forgot what to call it... so he just said something like the "edible version of the toadstool". Oh my goodness, he remembered "toadstool" but he forgot "mushroom"? Heh.

Lame as it was, today's lecture taught me lots of new stuff. For example...

Botulism (a severe case of food poisoning) is caused by a kind of microbe which produces a toxin called "botox" (sounds familiar?) which is used to remove wrinkles by paralysing skin nerves. I think this is what the Chinese call "rou du gan jun" (which I heard of last year).

Next time when you have diarrhoea, tell your doctor you have Gastroenteritis.

To make cheese, a kind of enzyme is needed, and this enzyme is found in a substance called Rennet, which could only be obtained from the stomachs of newborn calves during the time when it could not be chemically synthesized... you know the rest.