isaiah's
overly romanticised version of life

images by onionhead, RebzxJonasxMoseley

Thursday, April 14, 2005

City Hunters

Yesterday...

First period was a Math lecture test. I remember last Sunday when I was studying my Differential equations... I was so frustrated because I couldn't do a single question. During the test I was relieved that the Differential equation question was relatively easy. I could obtain its general formula, at least.

However, I did not have enough time to finish the whole paper. After passing it up, I was so depressed as I was thinking... "Why do I always have to fail my tests?"

Upon further reflection, however, I think I would manage a pass after all.

There was this learning journey on that day... it started at 3 pm. We went to URA Centre's City Gallery and participated in some activities.

Firstly it was a simulated quiz about urban development ("hosted" by Gurmit Singh!) in which we get to choose MCQ answers using voting machines. Halfway during the quiz, some of us decided that we all should not press the answering buttons and see if the frequency table which tabulates the results would respond.

The table still responded. Hard-coded, was it not?

We went on to play with lots of features in the Gallery, like this touch screen city guide whose screen will send a shock through one's fingers... the screen must have malfunctioned!

*Bzzzt!*

After that we discovered this real-time camera which gives the viewer a view of the Central area of SIngapore. Some of my classmates tried to zoom in the camera to view through windows of private residence. In vain.

I was glad to see that Tampines central had special mention in the Gallery as a "model" town with lots of "firsts". Tampines rawks!

Then we passed by this quite detailed model of the Central area... places like Kallang, Orchard, the CBD, etc. Haha... I saw the model of this suspension bridge I first saw at the Indoor Stadium during the Easter service.

Finally we went by a not-so-detailed model of the whole of Singapore. I located the models of AHS and City Harvest church (I know it's beside NTU).

Earlier in the day, one of my friends said that I do exhibit some Christian virtues in me... I felt encouraged. And then, a few hours later, while I was discussing about the coming CG outing with my classmate, I was reminded about the importance of honesty -- my classmate was asking whether I would tell my mum about the outing. Earlier in the day I almost decided not to, but... well, through my classmate's question, God reminded me how important it is to consistently be a good testimony for him.

Later that evening when I was running an errand for my mum I went by Metro in Century Square and saw an array of Star Wars Episode 3 merchandise... what impressed me was the series of titanium models of Star Wars classical vehicles and starships. And Palpatine's wicked sneer on the figurine package.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
"Heh heh, the Galaxy is mine!"






Today ...

During swimming something bizarre happened. I usually couldn't do my front crawl well, but in the deep pool I suddenly could do it like a pro. What's even more puzzling was that I could only do it temporarily; after that I couldn't keep my feet straight in the water again!

What mattered was whether I was relaxed or not. when I was very tense, I could not do front crawl well. Sigh... breaststroke rocks, though.

During GP today I learned that in the US they do not execute a criminal on Sabbath day (I suppose it's Sunday for them since it's a Christian nation).

For Computing coursework today, I only managed to finish my rollover navigation menu. And one hour out of six was gone. No mood to do it lah, since I have to take Chem SPA right after the session.

Chem SPA? I didn't know the state and phase of HBr, as in whether it's solid or in aqueous form, or in pure liquid form. Sigh... pray I won't flop it, huh? During the last moments of the test, I was almost hyperventilating!