isaiah's
overly romanticised version of life

images by onionhead, RebzxJonasxMoseley

Thursday, August 11, 2005

On Chem revisions, National day songs and missed fireworks

The Organic Chem notes I mentioned in my previous post... I meant that I was going to study Organic Chem during my National Day holidays.

And study Organic Chem I did.

For the 2 days I did my reaction flow chart for aromatic compounds (my long-time dream) and an improved version of my aliphatic compounds' flow chart (my old version was done eons ago, in pencil).

Also, I did a summary for the tests and identification of organic compounds.



The National day song for this year, "Reach Out For the Skies", was quite nice, and the dance steps were relatively easy to learn... I got the hang of the dance for the chorus part within a few minutes.

I still remember the National theme song for 1998, "Home". I think that was the first time when they asked a local star to sing a yearly theme song for National Day... I was in Primary 5 at that time. That song was vivid in my memories as it reminded me of my first school excursion: National Day Parade Preview.

Yes... Mom and Dad didn't allow me to go for outings until that year... when my Primary school sort of forced all the pupils to go for the preview in the name of patriotism.

Forced or not, I wanted to go all along, and it was my parents who had to be convinced.

Anyway, that preview was a wonderful experience for me... it was the only time in my life when I have seen fireworks personally. Also, because of the Digimon craze at that time, almost all my classmates brought Digimons with them (mine was at home...), and we had a lot of fun on the excursion bus as well!

The ND theme song for year 1999, "Together We Make a Difference", had an impressive MTV.

"Stars and Crescent", the ND theme song for year 2000, got some of my female Sec 1 classmates crazy over it for reasons unknown to me.

In the following years...

"Where I Belong" -- We still had Music lessons in my Sec 2 years, so I got to learn the song in great detail. I forgot most of the lyrics now, though.

"We will get there" -- No music lesson from Sec 3 onwards, but then again, it was sung by Stef Sun, so I learnt that song (it was in Stef's "Leave" album, which I was a bit crazy about during the period of its release) even before they started teaching it to us during assembly times.

"One United People" -- OK. This is where I started getting used to not knowing the lyrics of the National Day theme song even on the day itself.

"Home" again for last year... I only heard JJ Lin's version once (during the NDP) but I wasn't very impressed. Thankfully, there's a new song this year, even though the lyrics were still fuzzy to me.

Oh, and Singapore has already celebrated her 40th birthday 2 days ago?

Let's see if they'll have patriotic exercises in NS... then I'll be able to sing the new ND theme song next year without having to look at the lyrics.



On National Day itself, I was... mugging at home... you know, the Organic Chem stuff I mentioned just now... I'm glad that they held a parade in Tampines as well, and it was held near my house.

Except for the fact that I was grounded... and no TV for me either.

Anyway, the summary for the Padang NDP given during the News report was good enough. What I was upset about was that the fireworks for the Tampines parade would have been visible from my study room window if not for that tall block which obstructed my view.