isaiah's
overly romanticised version of life

images by onionhead, RebzxJonasxMoseley

Friday, August 19, 2005

D another day

Yesterday morning was another Mass PE session during which we guys could slack around... because the girls were still doing their 2.4 km run for NAPFA test.

Something quite special which happened yesterday was my practice run. Every Thursday there's this free period at 10:35 am before lunch time for Computing students in my class, so I decided that since I do little study during that period anyway, I might as well go for my run earlier.

So it was the earliest practice run in my JC life (I started jogging in my 2nd JC year anyway...). Due to the rule that students can't go out of College before 12:30 pm, I had to run on the College track.

There's nothing bad about running on the track, except that it's pretty monotonous (you understand) and I'll tend to run only 2.4 km (instead of the 3.6 km for my Upper East Coast Road run).

Never mind that.

After changing into PE clothes and arriving at the track, however, I realized how alone I was. The Sports Complex was literally deserted, and although the classroom block was just beside the track, there's still no one (except for a school attendant who was quite a distance away) in sight.

By the way, my watch strap which was on the verge of breakage snapped during the run.

Yesterday evening was Initial D for me again... I went to the arcade in Bedok (there were only 2 machines there and so you actually have to "book" the machine using your Initial D memory card). I did quite a lot of test runs (that's my term for playing without purchasing a memory card) on different kinds of cars (using manual gear change, of course).

Well... in the end I decided to get a Honda Civic Type R.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Honda Civic Type R

My new card was bought from a machine in the arcade at Century Square. The waiting time was shorter there (there were 4 machines) and the card dispensing machines were OK (the one at the Bedok arcade had problems printing player information on the card).

After doing a Time Attack with my new "car" (and watching a replay of my performance), I saw a boy, barely ten years old, sitting at one of the machines... I thought he was just trying it out of curiosity, but when I saw him holding a memory card, I was starting to think that he knew what he was doing.

After about a minute, he was already racing on the Iroha Slope track (for my level, I still dare not touch that track) with Kyoichi Sudo in the Story mode. For his age, he sure looks like a very seasoned racer.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Sudo Kyoichi in the Initial D anime

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Kyoichi in the HK Initial D movie. Ah... now you know who I'm talking about!

In Star Wars terms, the boy reminded me of Anakin Skywalker.

Anyway, the teenage guy beside the boy was clearly very impressed with him too, and he challenged the boy to a race.

The sharing during my church prayer meeting this morning reminded me that you need not be always doing "spiritual" things that are vislble to fellow Christians to be approved of God. God looks at the heart.

During today's GP lesson, we discussed briefly about the shooting of the Brazillian man by the London police...

At the time when this incident had just happened, I was reminded that there is always a possibility that one dies "unnecessarily" (I can't find a better word for it); similar incidents may even happen to me, but my hope is in God, who gives eternal life to those who hope in him.

Today I got back my Maths lecture test (I took the test this Wednesday but forgot to blog about it) and I got 15 marks out of 25. Thank God I passed... it's just that I would have gotten 19 marks or so if I didn't use a wrong formula for estimation of "proportion of success".

Never mind. It's better than forgetting to hand in the first sheet of my answer script (which I almost did during this very test)!