isaiah's
overly romanticised version of life

images by onionhead, RebzxJonasxMoseley

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Evangelism

Yesterday morning I joined Jiansheng for the chin-up practices. After doing a few chin-ups (he did a few; I did none!) we saw a few old guys who were there for morning exercise. Jiansheng suggested something I did not even think of during my Sec 4 "on-fire-for-God" days.

"Let's evangelise to them."

"OK lor..." so I followed him towards the few uncles and Jiansheng started asking them whether they knew the meaning of life (you know... our usual stuff...) and then he told them he was a Christian.

Following this was a series of "advices" from the uncles... that we young ones should not be "too devoted" to religions and must concentrate on studies... and that "all religions have their good points"... you know, their usual stuff!

A bit hard to evangelise, I think.

Firstly, in the Biblical days, in the Book of Acts, for example, Apostles evangelised to either Jews (who believe in the Old Testament and hence the Messianic prophecies) or people who believe in other gods (which means they did believe in gods in the first place!).

Now we evangelise to a new generation of "believe-in-yourselves", who do not believe that gods can exist.

Nevertheless, God remains the same. This I know. The most important thing it religiosity can't help in evangelism. Only love can.

After that attempt, I talked with Jiansheng about evangelism. I almost thought he's going to do street evangelism soon (!!!), but he said no. He said that he would look for opportunities that would make evangelism effective. It's not just about fufilling a quota.

I think that's quite a matured remark. I myself have gone through bouts of doubt (Aww ...what's new?) about methods of evangelism (no I'm not a "Methodist"...) and I do not think street evangelism is that effective.

I didn't say it's not effective at all... I knew a few examples where it worked... but in other cases, it resulted in turning off some of my friends like Jinrong and Kelvin (he may want to blog about his experience...).



I just finished listening to Sy Rogers' sermon... the gist of the whole sermon was that God does not want us to play "pious games" with him.

Some people think it's better to "cleanse" themselves before they feel "presentable" to God, but the fact is that we can't do it! Only God can cleanse us from sins and guilt.

Oh yes, I've just evangelised again.



Yesterday afternoon, while I was mugging in the canteen, I tried to tune in to YES 933 FM using my $2 radio... it kept skipping to News radio 938 without passing by 933... in the end after I changed place in the centeen and then I could tune in to 933. Wierd huh?

Oh, before mugging, I did another animated gif (NOT AGAIN!!!) for my Forums signature... this is better than the previous one (which was a bit incomprehensible, I think...)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Hehe... nice right?

Back to mugging again. While doing my Polymerisation tutorial, I found the reaction flow chart (which Ms Fong told us to do) useful in helping me find the possible reactions an organic group can undergo.



Today morning we did 4 laps of swimming across the width of the pool... and while doing the front crawl laps, I kept stopping and running out of breath.

Oh, IT Club's Dodgeball got in for the games for sports carnival... haha I'm one of the officials! So now I've got a whole list of rules to memorise... shouldn't be too hard, though.

Will blog about IT Club later... and I suppose I'll do another animated gif since it's still Flash course today.