isaiah's
overly romanticised version of life

images by onionhead, RebzxJonasxMoseley

Saturday, July 29, 2006

R-OH

Yesterday we went for this BBQ gathering organised by my unit as a celebration for promotion of some of our officers.

When the whole bunch of us NSFs (including guys from the previous batch like Junming, YY and Yuh Chian) arrived at Changi Haven (where the gathering was held), we started off by watching some Korean movie followed by Mr and Mrs Smith (I found it to be quite an interesting show -- at least there was a "happy" ending). In between the movies we played this game which was like soccer involvng a tennis ball on a table... we scored goals by blowing the ball into the opponent's side.

Then we started with the BBQ! They actually ordered noodles from a caterer as well, so our dinner wouldn't be lacking of carbohydrates. Surprisingly the DXOs were the ones who got the pit started, and the NSFs were only "deployed" to man the pits after that.

The usual stuff like chicken wings were present, and also seafood like fish and squid (Yeah!). There were crabs too, and it was the first time I attended a BBQ session with crabs! Inexperienced as I was, I didn't manage to get much flesh out of the crab I took. Or maybe those crabs were meant to be that way... I actually saw one of the crabs being cooked alive! And it must be the expansion of fluids in the crab's body which gave a whistling sound that gave me the impression that the crab's screaming!

Ugh.

After some eating we naturally divided into small chat groups... I was with Jianyuan, Peng, Chorbin and YY, sharing with them some of the incidents that occured during our WOPC rehearsal. After that YY left and the remaining 4 of us were talking about BGR when one of our officers offered red wine to us. By sheer coincidence (or rather God's will... as it turned out to be a blessing in disguise in 2 ways) I didn't get a cup (well our Sir only brought 3 cups).

OK just to provide some background... During WOPC when I was, erm, "offered a chance to" drink half a can of beer I couldn't stand the taste and made a decision not to touch beer again. However I was curious as to whether wine would taste slightly (only slightly) better than beer.

Hence, when I didn't get a cup of wine, I was initially very keen to have a go at some of Chor Bin's share. I took a sip and

*bleah!*

Forget it. I'm done with alcohol.

So they drank. And they drank half a cup again... Jianyuan wasn't that bad... Chor bin was red in the face already... and Peng took it the worst -- he was really drunk! After that we went to the beach (quite a dangerous thing to do actually...) where I spotted some lone durian shells (erm OK...) and Peng was reciting verses and verses of cheena poetry.

From which I realised that most of the Chinese Lit stuff I've learnt were... gone.

We then headed back to the BBQ site. Peng didn't get any better and we started to get worried. In the end he threw up and we sent him home since he was still having a headache. I wasn't actually the only one who was sober, but I consumed the least wine, so naturally the 3 other guys came under my charge lah. (Hehe...)

P.S. Happy birthday Nick.