isaiah's
overly romanticised version of life

images by onionhead, RebzxJonasxMoseley

Sunday, December 24, 2006

I see dead people

OK we didn't do any morning run this week.

Our officer was on leave and, well, since we had a course which spanned over Monday and Tuesday, we had quite an amount of work to clear in the remaining working days.

Or, for people like me, I did not go running in the first place as the weather was too cold for me to take a shower afterwards! Haha I can never be Commando you know...

Oh, the course!

It was an Open Office (a group of free-of-charge office applications available for download) Calc (the spreadsheet program in OO) course.

I went to the course in quite formal attire (because of a casual remark made by Kelvin that he's going to wear long sleeved shirt). The long sleeve shirt I bought at the beginning of this year came into use then.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Formal attire, plaster-below-lips version

Our venue of training happened to have moved from OUB House (at Raffles Place) to ST building (near Tg Pagar) recently. And in the Course-joining instructions we're given very ambiguous information: The venue was stated to be OUB House while the map given led to ST. We followed what was written and ended up at OUB House before Kelvin called them and was told that it was at ST instead. Never mind... the view at Raffles Place was pretty breathtaking (The concrete jungle never fails to impress me... and you guessed it. I love Coruscant too) so I took a photo of it.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The view at Raffles Place!

While it turned out to be quite an eye opener for some of our colleagues, for others (read "the NSFs") the whole of the course was basically a subset of what we already knew in spreadsheet programs, given our experience in Excel.

Good thing was, the PCs had Internet access. Period.



On Monday Dad and I had quite a good badminton game with another father-son pair. My pants were not absorbent enough, though... after the game it was dripping wet!

On Thursday I went for dental appointment at SAFTI MI (wait... that's near Boon Lay! But it's SAF covered, so...). The dentist said that if I were to get my front tooth filled, the filling would come off easily, which was what I sort of expected. He offered to smoothen the edges of the chipped part for me, so I let him do it since the edges were actually quite sharp and were becoming quite a bother for me. My tongue felt much better after that.

Yesterday I was at home all afternoon trying to do my book review, and you bet it was hard trying to secularise a review on a Christian book! But my office, more than 50% of whose staff are Christians, was still a secular environment. So...

I was just thinking that I've been buying less CDs and VCDs now... until yesterday, when I decided to give my support to Westlife once again by getting their "LOVE Album". Along with that I bought the "SHE Moving Castle Concert in HK" CD, which was, I think, the first concert CD I ever owned. Most of the songs inside were not new, of course, but for some reason I found some of them better than the record versions! Maybe it's the arrangement of accompaniments and their way of harmonising... Haha Ella did a rendition of David Tao's "Ai Hen Jian Dan" (Love is Simple) which I found was pretty good! Tank was there as well, and he sang "San Guo Lian" (Love in the time of the 3 Kingdoms).



"Curse of the Golden Flower" was indeed a art piece with vibrant colours on display. In terms of bloodiness I was reminded of another plot-in-the-palace film, "The Banquet".

In Banquet you get a close-up view of blood splashing. Crimson, translucent, making a melodious tune as it splattered against pillars and walls. A Lot of Blood.

In Golden Flower you see blood. Staining the bodies, yes, but less splattering. Or at least, not that close-up. There were much more dead bodies, though. When Jay Chou's (yes, Jay Chou!) legion of golden armoured army was wiped out by collosal spiked shields, their bodies littered the palace ground just like chrysanthemum petals, trampled on the ground, mixed with mud and soil. A Lot of Bodies.

And yes, for the mind less appreciative of artful films... if Jay Chou doesn't get you curious enough, well... all the females wear very low cut outfit. So low cut, I fear for their modesty whenever they happened to be running around.