isaiah's
overly romanticised version of life

images by onionhead, RebzxJonasxMoseley

Sunday, August 13, 2006

This summer, an eventful week needs no translation

Haha I met Wenrong at Tampines Mall while I was on my way to catch Toyko Drift!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NYJC Vs SAF

Looks like NYJC's really that cheena. It actually made Chinese Language Wenrong's best subject!

But I think his recent dose of Mandopop helped a little. He hardly listened to Mandopop in my AHS HO days.

Tokyo Dorihuto was quite action-packed, I think. One thing that made me uncomfortable was that they kept using the word "drifting" when they're actually just talking about car racing. Otherwise, hmm deep down I actually have no problem with the fact that the key Japanese roles are all played by non-Japs.

At least there's this cute Jap girl in the cast! Although she doesn't talk much (I've read that she's currently learning English, so OK...), well, I'm cool with it.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Keiko Kitagawa, the Jap girl I was talking about. This picture is closest to my impression of her in the movie.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Dorihuto Shite Iru Ehu Di San Esu!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Check out the skid marks, man... but I'm not comfortable with their modifying the Evo (a world-famous 4-wheel drive) into a rear-wheel drive just to make it easier to drift. Thank goodness they didn't do it to my favourite WRX Impreza.

Besides the abovementioned stuff, this week was quite eventful. 10/04 guys outing... public holiday... learning day... you name it, we've got it.

Not that the class outing was that successful, though...

Haha no lah, it's just that most of us are now NSFs and not all our NSFs are hoh-miah clerks like me, Kido, JY and Joel (who's actually not so hoh-miah as he's a stay-in unit clerk), who turned up earliest for the outing. Duh.

Our garang commandos had trouble booking out early (welcome to SAF), so they managed to arrive about one hour later.

And as usual, typical of NSF guys meeting up, we talked about army life and hardly anything else. Commando training was really siong, but like what Jeremy (a signaller) said, they're the ones who command a lot more respect than other soldiers.

Yeah, just look at the red-beret 1st Commando Battalion marching at the National Day Parade. Seh!

Kido was damn funny... he left straight after meeting our commando friends.

I don't think I have to say more about National Day, when I was happilly ripping CDs at home while trying to catch Jiansheng among all the Camo-faced Load-Bearing-Vest boys in the NDP.

For our Branch Learning Day this month, we learnt wbout the basics of sushi making from our Branch head, who is actually an enthusiast for culinary stuff. She actually prepared the vinegared rice by herself.

Even though it looks easy, like just putting the rice on the seaweed thingy and wrapping it up, sushi-making actually requires very good estimation of the proportions of the rice and the stuff you put in. Some of us (like Jireh) managed to produce quite professional sushi in various shapes and sizes.

Well, my first few attempts were not really that worthy of mention, but in the end, I guess my fishu-saapuraizu (Fish Surprise!), which consisted of Unagi (eel) and fishcake (our kind of fishcake, not the Jap one with the pink coil on it), worked out in the end.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Getting it all stacked up

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
A closer view before I roll it up

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Fishu-Saapuraizu!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
But I had to admit, the filling is a bit off-centre...

We not only made Maki-zushi... some of us attempted Nigiri-zushi (the kind where you put a slice of something on a rice ball). Although most of the rice balls they made are a tad too big, people like Max actually came up with quite interesting ideas like...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Ubi-zushi. Too bad you can't eat this.

My attempt at the Gunkan-maki-zushi (Gunkan is the Jap word for "battleship") which consists of the same rice ball + the same topping + seaweed wrapped around the whole thing could only be summarized as: Too much rice, too little space for the topping. And there's the same old fishcake!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Fish Cake Gunkan

By the way, I was the one who suggested using this kind of fishcake. Haha.

We had green tea to drink as well (to create that Jap atmosphere) and we're given our own foam cups with our names written on it (a good way to avoid mixing up).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
My Cup!