isaiah's
overly romanticised version of life

images by onionhead, RebzxJonasxMoseley

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Add OIL

Yesterday I did night guard duty again.

During the time before the shift thing (there are 3 shifts, 2200 - 0100, 0100 - 0400, 0400 - 0700) started, 2 of us would be at the counter. I volunteered to follow the visitors who parked their cars to the carpark (I had to open the barricade for them) because most of them would give me a lift back to the counter (which they will pass by on the way out), and there was an Impreza parked there... I hoped that eventually the Impreza guy would give me a lift as well.

He did.

A few days back I've been having this feeling that this time I would do the middle shift this time. Normally people wouldn't want to do the middle shift (or so I think) because you'll have to wake up halfway through your sleep (unlike other shifts when you can sleep all the way before or after doing your shift).

Since I have an off (Off-in-Lieu, or OIL, for polling day) today, I volunteered to take the middle shift.

Never mind... I managed to have adequate sleep anyway. The middle shift wasn't a busy one (duh!) and I was reading this book written by Philip Yancey (one of my favourite Christian authors) called "Soul Survivor -- How my faith survived the church". The title sounds interesting enough.

The book is actually about the lives of those who inspired him to hold on to his faith after being disillusioned with the church, which, at that time when he was a youth, was either too legalistic (lots of rules and restrictions -- he mentioned this in another book called "How Amazing is Grace") to care about real problems in the world or embraces racism (before Martin Luther King Jr and the Civil Rights Movement).

Seriously, I can't be sure whether the majority of the Christian world now is on the right side regarding certain world issues.



After waking up from my nightmarish 4 to 7 sleep (I saw a few of my colleagues in a place totally different from my office, and then something seemingly bad happened in that dream... I forgot what it was), I changed into civilians and, under the glow of the early morning sun of my off day, blasted off Depot camp to Bugis Junction to watch X-men 3 and look up some books in the Kinokuniya outlet there.

All I could say about X-men 3 was... how come so many people died?

After the movie, I went to Kino. Bought a Japanese-English dictionary (I currently have an English-Japanese dictionary) and some practice material for the JLPT (Jap Language Proficiency Test). Not that I wanted to take the test, but I definitely wanted to beef up my knowledge of Japanese.

Of course, after going to Bugis Junction a few times without dropping by its games arcade, I had to give it a visit today. It's the first time I saw this Mario Kart arcade game so much taked about in the Mindef Forums... It actually has a memory card system like Maximum Tune and Initial D!