isaiah's
overly romanticised version of life

images by onionhead, RebzxJonasxMoseley

Monday, September 26, 2005

Prelims: Before, during, and after...

I'm finally back to blog about the Prelims. And one of my greatest periods of suffering in my whole life: the week before Prelims.

Yes. The week before Prelims I fell sick on Monday. At that time, I had such a great pain in my waist that I thought I was getting Dengue fever (isn't it that a person will feel pain in the bones?), and I even thought of some worst case scenarios, like what to include in my will...

And I was thinking of calling Ms Fong to ask whether she knew about how long the incubation period is for Dengue fever (she caught it once last year).

My pain was gone on Tuesday, though (I woke up that day after having some silly dream about racing in a car). I did throw up in the morning, but only once.

That day was the worst day in that week, though. Or even one of the worst days in my life.

I tried studying Computing on that day, but found myself frequenting the toilet (there was once when I was so lethargic that I fell asleep in the toilet!)... and my diarrhea was so serious that eating Po Chai Pills (a Chinese medicine frequently used in my family) didn't help much.

And my thermometer registered 38.5 degrees!

I accompanied Mum to the doctor on Wednesday and learnt that antibiotics can make diarrhea worse (which was why I didn't get antibiotics for my fever).

In the later part of the week, I slowly recovered, but the last traces of diarrhea did not go off until Monday of the Prelim week.

I wasn't worried about Maths (I was doing Maths Paper 1 on Monday), however, because I studied Maths for a week (the week before I got sick).

As it turned out, My Maths paper was fairly OK, and this time I was determined to skip the questions I couldn't do (I failed to let go in the past, resulting in leaving less time for the questions I could do).

Monday afternoon was damn rainy... I was mugging for Chem in the canteen and the rain droplets were blown in and my summaries felt moist, so I had to move my seat. The thunder was pretty loud as well. Poh Woon joined me on that day and shared some pickled snacks with me.

General Paper and Chem paper 3 were on Tuesday.

For GP essay, I wrote on how important it is to have standards (one of my favourite issues... I mean, just imagine a world without standards being set!). Comprehension was on the topic of governmental legalisation of gambling. For which I did not complete the Application Question.

Chem paper 3 was much worse for me, as a peek at my answer script would show that I obviously did not prepare much on Periodic Table group studies.

Physics paper 1 and 2 plus Computing paper 1 on Wednesday.

I would say that Physics is one of my most stable subjects now (I would think so for Maths too).

After we had the Physics papers, the 3 of us Computing dudes were having a rest in the canteen (the Computing paper was 3 hours after Physics ended), and Maoxin was suddenly inspired to write a song about examination worries. Here's what he came up with.

Sing it to the tune of Auld Lang Syne.



Should all equations be forgot
and never brought to mind?
Should all our efforts come to nought
and we can only wait to die

Let's go~ and~ die~, oh dear
Let's go~ and~ die~
We'll take a cup of papaya milk(I'll explain later)
then go~ and~ die~



Before Maoxin wrote these lyrics, we saw Ms Fong and Mrs Aileen Lim buying fruits at the fruit stall. Maoxin asked us to guess what fruit Ms Fong would be buying (we were that bored!), because he saw Ms Fong eating a papaya when he went to see her eons ago.

So I went to the adjacent snacks stall to buy a cup of hot milk (and to see which fruit Ms Fong bought), but after I paid for my milk, the fruit was already put in a blue plastic bag, so I couldn't see what it was...

And hence, after going back to report the failure of my mission, Maoxin started talking about papaya milk... so you can see it in the DIE song.

Anyway, I got OWNED by Computing Paper 1.

Thursday was a free day. I stoned a lot on that day.

Friday was Chemistry paper 2. All I could say was that the paper was divided into 2 sections, each with... I think it's 4 questions and 3 questions respectively. And when I reached the 2nd section, I only had 10 minutes left.

And it wasn't only me. All the people I asked complained that there wasn't enough time.

And as you can see from my previous post, Friday was the day I watched "One More Chance".

Prelims week 2, Monday. Computing Paper 2 and Physics Paper 3.

The 6 of us did our Computing paper in a classroom, and before the paper, Mr Chua told me that I did very badly for Paper 1, so I've got to get at least 80 marks for Paper 2.

But after doing the paper, I guess I couldn't. Don't know lah.

I did the first few questions of my Physics Paper 3 with much enthusiasm, but I sort of got OWNED by the Nuclear Physics question (I originally did not intend to do that topic, but Ideal Gas got me stuck halfway as well, and I wasted a lot of time there).

In the end, I had little time left to do the easy-to-score Option Topic (Fluid Physics) questions. I think I should do my Options Topic questions in my A Level Physics Paper 3.

During my Prelims period, I'd been having my dinner (Mixed vegetable rice, Take-away) at College all the time, and that day wasn't an exception. The only thing different about that day was that there were lots of queen ants dropping from the ceiling, and I had to be extra careful not to let any of them drop into my dinner.

For my Maths Paper 2 on Tuesday, I did my Options Topic (Probability and Statistics) first, which I think was a good idea, because I managed to complete more questions.

Chemistry Paper 1 (Multiple Choice questions) was the last paper on Wednesday. I was thinking that I ought to study a lot for this paper because I did not perform so well for my other 2 papers, but in the end I studied only the Periodic Table Group Studies section.

In the end. however, I managed to finish the whole paper (quite hard considering the fact that it's 40 questions in an hour). ON the next day, however, after discussing the questions with some of my friends, I realized that I got some of the questions (I was actually quite confident about most of them) wrong!

Few days to take a break before the new A Level preparation time table begins. I played Pokemon Silver again and realised that Miltank is actually quite a nice Pokemon.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Miltank, which reminds me of Keli's "Ji Niu Nai" (Milk-The-Cow) game.

And the most crappy thing that happened was that I caught Raikou using ONLY ONE Great Ball (Level 2 Pokeball). I released it afterwards, though. I'm not suited to using "legendary" Pokemon...

I finished the Johto part of the game in 3 days (yes, that's my speed!) and experienced one of my most stressful battles ever with the Elite Four, probably because this time my Pokemon team's average level is lower than that of every E4 member. I lost once (didn't bring enough Hyper Potions...) and barely won the second time, with 5 (out of 6) of my Pokemon fainted and my Feraligator having only half its maximum health.

I realised that the first few battles with the Elite Four (you can battle them for an infinite number of times until your Pokemon get so strong that you get so bored and you restart the game) are those that really got me thinking on my feet... I had to analyse the battle styles of the E4 members and come up with strategies and stuff.

In one of our Forums discussions about being "Liberated" from the Prelims, Junqun made a very rare remark indeed.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I remember last year when all of us IT Club dudes called Junqun "Panda" because of his... erm...