isaiah's
overly romanticised version of life

images by onionhead, RebzxJonasxMoseley

Thursday, October 26, 2006

The golden rule

"Do not to others what you don't want others to do to you."

There's a reason why Jesus came to do away with religion.

Because even without religion, our moral obligations are already hard enough to handle.

I've seen and heard stories that tell of the darker sides of human nature. I've seen how a moment of selfishness can bring about unreversible tragedies (after all, all it takes for a tragedy to happen is for you to be put in the wrong place at the wrong time).

Knowing that the very next moment I'll be doing something of a very similar nature.

Even a short unkind remark can do the job. And sometimes, I admit, I didn't even feel guilty.

A moment of self-importance... a few days of procrastination... can sometimes be all it takes to negatively affect others, even someone whom you don't even know exists!

This morning, just taking a usual walk around my workplace's compound (reference to location was pretty redundant huh?), I was suddenly reminded for no reason about something Jesus said, which is along the lines of...

"If you are only kind to those who treat you kindly... even sinners can do that much!"

I call myself a Christian. Am I really still that incapable of loving? And why?

I find what Christ said in the gospels about living a life to be pretty practical. Even convincing.

But emotionally charged as we are, it's hard to do just the practical thing. How many times in my life will I turn the other cheek?