isaiah's
overly romanticised version of life

images by onionhead, RebzxJonasxMoseley

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Catching up

Rumaging through the stuff that became a bit messy over these few months during which I was too lazy to keep things in order... I found this piece of Japanese lesson note on which I drew my impression of the sea monster Leviathan.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Grarrrrh!

Then, gazing upon my helmet which I wore during BMT...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Been a long time since I last wore it!

Been doing quite a lot of things last week. Things which caused me to learn how to walk between Bugis, City Hall and Dhoby Ghaut MRT stations.

At first, I went to Bras Basah collect the seal I mentioned in the last post. Well it turned out fine... I got to take a look at all kinds of stones before making a decision as to which stone I wanted to use for my seal. The highly expensive stones were very beautfully patterned... until you hear the price.

So, I used a $4 stone. It's actually quite beautiful also. No regrets lah... what matters most is that it's my very own seal!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Chop!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Ta-dah!

Well since I was already at Bras Basah complex, might as well take a look around. I realised that there were quite a lot of other kinds of shops as well, besides bookshops. There were some shops selling musical instruments. Well for me...

Instrument ==> HARMONICA!

I was hopeful, at least. I've been wanting to buy a chromatic harmonica whose price is neither too cheap (I already have one $8 harmoc given to me when I just joined the orchestra in Sec 1) nor too expensive (I'm an amateur player anyway). Taking a closer look at the available models, sadly I could only find one $12 model and a few others that cost over $100!

*Walks out of the second instrument shop with a semi-elongated face*

Never mind... in one of the instrument shops which also sells sports equipment (?!), I got a pack of wrist towels (I reckon I'll come to need it a lot these days, when I've taken up quite a number of sports). One thing about products from China... the brand name will sometimes remind you of someone you know. A few years ago I saw a pair of shoes branded "Jiansheng". As for now...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
My new wrist towels! Yeah I got grey ones.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
"Jianyuan"? Exactly the same Chinese characters some more!



On Friday Jianyuan (Haha) and I went to Bernard's house to play this strategic board game called "Settlers of Catan", in which we build settlements and compete to be the first to achieve a certain standard of accomplishment. It was fun. More fun than DotA. (OK Bernard has the right to say this since he does play DotA... for me it's a matter of course since I suck at DotA and hence can't find much fun in that game...). Bernard's Mum later offered us fruits!

After 2 rounds (one of which will take about 2 hours!) we went off to have dinner-that-turned-into-supper at New York Pizza, Century Square. The pizza was actually quite affordable. After getting our stomachs filled, we went off to a corner drinking Shandy and talking about... life as a youth.

The night was enjoyable, except for the haze (it hung so low in the atmosphere you could actually feel it all around you) which ruined the Mooncake festival. The Moon was reduced to a pathetic patch of reluctant white light.



Yesterday at Dhoby Ghaut I met up with few of the fellow key history makers in TJC forums.

In other words, my batch of IT Club members.

We had lunch and... and... just walked around? The Dhoby Ghaut area was actually quite big... we walked to Paradiz to play pool. And then to Sunshine Plaza which I'll call the Otaku's paradise. Anime products, manga and Gundam models (Ah... Gunsou would love this!). I bought more Keroro Gunsou merchandise.

After that I brought them to Mind Cafe (where they provide all kinds of board games, including the SoC I played on the previous day).

But they found the rates a tad too expensive.

So we kept going around... and ended up at Vivocity which was supposed to be opening yesterday. Well it was open, but most of the place was still under renovation, so there weren't much to see. The cineplex was quite nice, and it was there where I learnt what it was like to mix the smell of a newly constructed building with that of hotdogs...



Later in the day I joined a few of my Student Venture mates (namely Tim, Jon and Hannah) for dinner. Jon brought us to this Turkish restaurant called Sofra which is at Shaw Towers. I had an affinity for meat dishes, so naturally I got quite curious about the Kebabs.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
One of the Kebab combos which we had.