isaiah's
overly romanticised version of life

images by onionhead, RebzxJonasxMoseley

Friday, January 13, 2006

Some thoughts about idol voting competitions.

Yeah, we all know that there are so many idol voting competitons now that they're close to the point of saturation.

Not that I'm complaining.

Anyway, I saw this post on the i-weekly forum made by a reader who is obviously a parent of a heavy supporter of such shows... the parent suggested that such shows be stopped as the voters are mostly teens who are still living on their parents and are wasting their parents' money when they vote via SMS (if they cast multiple votes, of course).

Sigh.

It's not that I'm against that view... it's just that I enjoy watching shows like Campus Superstar and don't wish that these shows will be gone anytime soon.

However, I'm concerned about the issue on voters spending loads on casting multiple votes.

Basically I'm against casting multiple votes... it's wasteful and unfair. From the weekly reports of these competitions, I realized that some of the participants who are kicked out would complain that their fans were not so rich to cast as many SMS votes as they want... people may say that they're making excuses, but who can blame them? Isn't that a very likely reason for their loss?

Some of the participants also state that their families would spend hundreds of dollars on SMS voting to support them...

What I feel is that if there's no control over how many votes a supporter can cast, the competition will be on how rich the supporters of the participants are.

That's one of the reasons I don't participate in voting... I mean, I wouldn't cast 10 votes at one go just to make sure my favourite contestant stays in the game, under the knowledge that a supporter of another contestant would cast 100 votes for his favourite! My 10 votes would then be as useless as no votes at all!

I believe that it's not difficult to impose a one-vote-per-voter scheme... and I believe that such a scheme should be the solution (instead of abolishing the competitions) to the problems faced by both contestants and parents alike.