isaiah's
overly romanticised version of life

images by onionhead, RebzxJonasxMoseley

Friday, February 17, 2006

Memoirs of a recruit (part 5)

Here again.

Only because I made a very stupid mistake by forgetting to mention this point in my last post...

E-Mart

After weeks of waiting, I finally got a chance to go to the E-mart in Tekong BMTC.

On that day, probably the most "free" day I'll ever get in my BMT life, we had lots of admin time before and after dinner, so most of us in the platoon decided to visit the E-Mart to shop for stuff we might need in the field camp.

The system there allows us to use the SAF subsidy for buying items which are already issued. For extra items (and there's a wide range of extra tems like tidbits, cup noodles, and even the "Pi Pa Gao", a traditional Chinese proprietary medicine for sore throat!) we pay our own cash.

I bought extra T-shirt, singlet, jockey cap (so that I can then wash my original one which was soaked with sweat), toilet roll (a good precaution, because I dropped my original roll on the wet toilet floor on the next day), Swiss Knife (I lost mine recently) and other stuff. I didn't buy snacks because of my low appetite caused by the gastric problem.

The queue was bloody long, and I waited for a very long time before I was able to pay for my stuff and go.

What's worse... only after exiting the shop did I realize that I forgot to buy the L-torch and Chinagraph.

Too bad... the queue was still long, and most of my platoon mates were done with shopping and we're to go back to our bunks...

P.S. I'm booking in again this evening... and my gastric problem is almost gone now. Now I can look forward to meals like the rest of the guys again!