isaiah's
overly romanticised version of life

images by onionhead, RebzxJonasxMoseley

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Memoirs of a recruit (part 3)

Last week was the most eventful week in my NS life so far, but it wasn't a very happy one.

We started on new stuff like the IMT (Individual Marksmanship Training), IFC (Individual Field Craft) and I volunteered to be one of the song I/C's (those who lead songs when we march).

And here's the catch... I fell sick near the middle of the week.

IMT done in an air-conditioned room with programs that simulate rifle shooting. The whole thing was nice... and my shots were OK... not professional, but at least not too bad. I think it's effective in letting us practise the things to be done in the live range before we actually go there.

IFC consists of the skills we need when doing combat in the field... I'm not that much of a pro in that area... for the recovery from prone position part, I'm the weakest in my section. I didn't fare so badly for the camouflaging part... except that I only found a suitable hiding spot after much trials which failed when my sergeant asked me whether I thought that was a good place to hide.

I have always wanted to be a song I/C, except that I got sore throat after we got the song lyrics from our sergeants (which meant that we'd better start doing our jobs).

Worse still, the sore throat developed into fever. The procedure for reporting sick was quite complicated, and my bunk mate who was very sick actually had to march with the whole platoon to the cookhouse for lunch before he could actually go to see the Medical Officer.