isaiah's
overly romanticised version of life

images by onionhead, RebzxJonasxMoseley

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Memoirs of a recruit (part 4)

"Opinions are like assholes... everybody has one."

This statement was made by one of our sergeants while giving a lecture.

Seriously... deep down, our sergeants are like us recruits... after all, they're at most a few years older than us...

When the sergeants are away, the recruits have fun. When the recruits are away, the sergeants have fun.

...

Oh, you might be wondering why I had the time and the technology to blog on a warm Thursday afternoon... shouldn't I be somewhere on Tekong doing circuit training?

That's because they arranged for our live firing session to be on this Saturday and Sunday, which means we don't get to book out this weekend. So... we booked out on Wednesday night!

0100, Sick bay

The time and place where I slept after my last book-in.

Yeah... my fever was quite persistent (a typical Tekong-fever case), and I had to forget to bring the medicine back home during book-out (causing me to have to rely on Panadol back home), so while I prepared for book-in thinking that I'd recovered from fever, my temperature rose again at Tekong... to 39.4 degrees Celcius!

And I had gastric problems too... caused by the medication.

Obviously I had to report sick.

So I did... and ended up in the sick bay on drip... to rehydrate me.

For the rest of the three days. I was on status (yes... I'm a recruit and you're a recuit too, but I've got status!!!)

It's good to be on status. Yeah right.

We get to occupy the foremost positions of our platoon while queueing for food at the cookhouse. A good thing, but for me it didn't help much... my gastric problem caused me to have no mood for eating at all.

While the others are doing physical training, we do area cleaning... like removing weeds on the roads, etc. The whole thing is so pointless; I suggest that they set aside a piece of land for those recruits on status to grow tapioca instead.