isaiah's
overly romanticised version of life

images by onionhead, RebzxJonasxMoseley

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Losing faith

I never thought a movie could make me emo like this. Never. Before I begin, let me make this clear: I'm trying my UTMOST not to be vulgar. Now let's begin.

~

It all started when I watched this movie called Sky of Love, a considerably tragic love drama. Weird thing is, the couple was supposed to gain the most sympathy and encouragement from the audience (which I suppose is the case) but no, my sympathy was all for the rebound guy. None for the lovey dovey-

-OK allow me, pleeeeese! I know it's wrong to call them-

狗男女。

I know it's wrong of me to feel this way. When they tell you who are the main characters, you listen. You cry for them, root for them, and they're always right, even when they're wrong.

And the supporting characters? Don't even give a damn about them lah. Look at how poor thing our hero is!

OK Let me put it this way.

~

Whitehair, you've been with your girl through the toughest of times, though you took *that* away from her a bit too early. Fine. And when the bad thing happens to you, you leave her. OK. You don't want to be a burden. That's being noble and all. I say you've merely CHICKENED OUT!

And then when girl found out the truth about your plight, she realised how much she'd let you down, and how she should have been by your side and all. And true, you've been thinking about her every single day.

AND THAT'S THE BEST YOU CAN DO!!!???

Fine. In the end you still got the girl. Congrats, should I say?

Girl, you've been through the most terrible things that could have happened, and Whitehair never forsook you. It's totally like a dream.

Then when you've finally got better, he just walked out of your life like that.

You told yourself never to believe in love again. Then Rebound Guy comes in, and you realised that it was more than mere coincidence, and you decided to give love a chance again.

He salvaged your parents' marriage and put that smile on your face once again, and you finally decided to make the promise of the lifetime. Then you found out the truth about Whitehair.

Amazingly, within hours, what you've just said to Rebound Guy, flashing the ring and all...

"It's a promise!"

Could turn into the typical Jap Drama line, this time to Whitehair

"If it's not you, it just won't do!"

I'm VERY DISAPPOINTED IN YOU. Rebound Guy restored your faith in love. In return, you've crushed his.

Seriously. I almost walked out of the theater.

Now for the Rebound Guy... you've been bringing her to the commemorative place of her previous relationship year after year, running the constant risk of her digging up her past emotions.

And finally, shortly after she promised to be yours and only yours forever, you lost her.

I was happy for you only for one thing. When she said "I took the long way back (to Whitehair) again", I'm glad she wasn't saying it to you. It would have HURT so much more.

You're just the long way. The footpath. To be treaded upon. 是被踩在脚下的。

And you're merely given seconds to cry.

You did the right thing. Cast the ring away. She's not worth it.

~

P.S. Contrary to what love stories should do for the target audience, this film made me lose my faith in romance even more.

In Yuu (the Rebound Guy) I saw the whole uncertainty of it all - that you can invest the best 2 or 3 years of your life in a relationship that could be dismissed that easily as the "long way round" to her "true happiness". Are all girls like that?

幸せになってね、優。